Produced by Progress Lab (Boca del Lupo, Electric Company Theatre, Felix Culpa, Leaky Heaven Circus, Neworld Theatre, Pi Theatre, Rumble Productions, The Only Animal, Radix, Theatre Replacement and Theatre Conspiracy)
Spring/Summer 2012 + future dates to be announced
NEXT PERFORMANCE: July 28, 2012 - RADIX
Following three sold-out iterations of the Hive party series, Vancouver’s Progress Lab network of indie theatre-makers comes together to test the theory that creativity feeds on limits.
Inspired in part by The Five Obstructions by Jørgen Leth and Lars Von Trier, the core artists of each participating company will submit, a few at a time and under a cold spotlight, to a list of obstructions delivered by a shadowy emcee. The companies will then be commanded to create their next production around those limitations. Each company’s obstructions have been developed by their peers in secret – a custom-designed set of obstacles that will prompt each artist to adapt to a new approach to making theatre. Their individual tendencies toward form, place, style, theme, design, period, story are exposed and obstructed, spilling the artist’s bag of tricks all over the stage and out of reach.
For more information about Obstructions, please visit progresslab.ca.
July 28, 2012
Progress Lab 1422 at 1422 William St
Doors at 7:30pm, performance at 8pm. Immediately following the performance, there will be a judging panel, the announcement of the next company's obstructions (Theatre Conspiracy will be in the hot seat) and after-party!
Tickets are $16 and are available to buy online now. Click here to purchase.
Audience members: Please bring one or more organic carrots and a non-perishable donation to the food bank. A peasant/farm style dress is encouraged.
Radix's obstructions are:
1. The piece must revisit the central questions for their recent work, BEUTFL PRBLMS.
2. The piece must be in the style of a French farce.
3. The piece must have a set made of carrots.
For more info about Radix, go to www.radixtheatre.org.
Leaky Heaven...with Rumble in the hot seat, ready to receive our obstructions!
September 8, 2012
More performance dates to be announced soon! Check back regularly for updates.
Boca del Lupo
May 26, 2012
Boca del Lupo's obstructions were:
1. The piece must be done in an empty space (bodies allowed) without props or electricity.
2. The inspiration for the piece must be drawn from a page selected randomly from the business press on the day before their performance.
3. The piece must use a satiric style.
June 30, 2012
Felix Culpa's obstructions were:
1. The piece must be autobiographical.
2. The piece cannot use more than 100 words.
3. The piece must be done outside of a conventional theatre. Site-specific but not at either David Bloom's or Linda Quibell's house.